Tuesday, July 3|
Arapaho Fire Update affecting Camp Laramie Peak (west of Wheatland, WY) – Due to the nature of the Arapaho Fire we have made a decision to close Camp Laramie Peak for the summer and until further notice. The fire has not yet reached camp property, although the fire is within 1 mile of camp. The roads are closed and our power has been cut, fire crews remain on the property and are working hard on getting the fire out. We will work with units to re-locate to another camp or re-schedule. For our camp staff we will be able to re-locate individuals to Ben Delatour Scout Ranch. Thank you for your understanding during this challenging fire season.
(More info on the fire is at www.inciweb.org/incident/2959/)
Friday, June 29
The High Park Fire affecting Ben Delatour Scout Ranch (Red Feather Lakes) – Camp was evacuated on June 14. On June 28, we have received approval by the Sheriff to resume operations. The next Boy Scout Session will begin on Sunday, July 8. Due to staff attrition in the 3rd week, interruption of business, staff members have had to gain other employment and the Webelos session # 7 starting July 8th is still uncertain. The decision to go or cancel that session will be made early next week. Cub Scout sessions #’s 8, 9 and 10 will be offered as scheduled at this time.
Any adult Cub Scouter or youth member 15 years and older who would be interested in working with the Cub Scout program for any session(s) from July 8 to 22, please respond to Terry Martin email@example.com or call the Greeley service center 970-330-6305 within the next 72 hours for more information.
The Flagstaff Fire affecting Camp Patiya (near Boulder)– The fire is approximately 1-2 miles from camp. All programs are cancelled until further notice.
Our staff continues to monitor all the fires and road access issues. Our top priority is the safety of our youth, staff and volunteers. Thank you for your understanding in working with us during this difficult fire season.
Friday, June 29
The Arapaho Fire affecting Camp Laramie Peak (west of Wheatland, WY) - Camp Laramie Peak was evacuated Thursday, June 28 at 9:30 pm ordered by the Albany County Fire Warden, due to road access issues. Currently ONLY the Webelos session beginning on June 30 is CANCELLED. Cindy Batt firstname.lastname@example.org will address all rescheduling or refunds requested. We intend to operate camp on July 8th as planned, however if operation is not allowed we will move campers to Ben Delatour Scout Ranch.
Friday, June 29
Camp Laramie Peak near Wheatland, WY was evacuated last night. The Sheriff ordered camp to be evacuated due to potential road access issues from the Arapaho Fire. Camp Laramie Peak is NOT in immediate danger of this fire. We evacuated 256 people. We are working with the Sheriff's office to see when we can return to the property. Please be patient as we try and figure out how to proceed with the upcoming session of camp. We will notify each unit contact that registered for camp.
Wednesday, June 27 (posted June 28)
The Flagstaff Fire is approximately 1-2 miles East of Camp Patiya, located off of Flagstaff Road. It has burned an estimated 230 acres and the area and homes near the camp have been evacuated. We will keep a close eye on this fire and keep you updated to the progress and impact of this fire on Camp Patiya.
The High Park Fire is approximately 15 miles west of Fort Collins and has burned an estimated 87,284 acres. It is approximately 65% contained. The Fire is approximately 3-5 miles Southeast of the Ben Delatour Scout Ranch. Glacier View area is still under a full evacuation notice and the road 74E is closed with Highway patrol escorts only into Red Feather Lakes.
We have cancelled all operations at BDSR up till July 7. We will be making a decision regarding operations after July 8 and the final two weeks before Friday June 29 after conferring with the Glacier View Fire chief.
Monday, June 25
Due to the drastic changes in the High Park Fire over the weekend, we made the decision to cancel Week 4, July 1-8 at Camp Jeffrey and Elkhorn High Adventure Base. We are working with several other Councils to find camps for the troops displaced by the fire.
To the affected troops:
We are willing to work with any council of your choosing. Please let me know how I can help you find a camp for your Scouts. We will contact Councils for you. In doing that, so far they have all been willing to accept the fees you have paid us even if their fees are higher. If their fees are lower we will send them what they need and refund the balance back to you. Worst case scenario we will send you a full refund of your fees, but we would prefer to find a camp for your Scouts so they don't miss their summer camp experience.
Please respond via email, email@example.com - I need something in writing to process the transfers and refunds and it will be very difficult to get through on my phone line.
If there is anything we can do to help you let me know!
We are sorry for the inconvenience. We hope you have a wonderful summer camp.
Program Support Specialist
Longs Peak Council, BSA
Saturday, June 23
The fire has burned approximately 75,537 acres.
The fire is approximately
3 miles from Ben Delatour Scout Ranch.
All key staff & personnel have now
evacuated the Ranch.
74E west from Boy Scout Road was closed as of last night.
More info: www.inciweb.org
Monday, June 18 6:00 pm
BDSR Camp Closures
We have closed camp June 24-30 at BDSR which includes
Elkhorn High Adventure Base
Jack Nicol Cub Scout Camp.
We are in the
process of relocating Scouts to other weeks or other camps.
We will be
assessing future sessions on a week by week basis.
Sunday, June 17 Noon
Camp just reported in that Camp Nicol (on Ben Delatour Scout Ranch)
is hosting 150-200 Firefighters and support personnel and 15 engines
to fight this fire. The Council continues to work closely with the Fire Chief
and Sheriff's office. The fire is approximately 4 miles away.
The key camp staff (directors/rangers) are safe and will remain safe!
June 14, 2012 10:10 PM
The High Park Fire has grown to an estimated 52,000 acres. The Fire is approximately 5-10 miles Southeast of the Ben Delatour Scout Ranch. The Larimer County Sheriff called the camp via the Reverse 911 system to inform us that we (Glacier View) are on an evacuation notice. We notified our leaders at dinner and they finished their packing and departed from the ranch this evening. We have made accommodations to house our Scouts & Leaders from out of Council at the Harmony Presbyterian Church in Ft. Collins. Our staff will be at Timberline Church in Ft. Collins, once we know everyone has been accounted for and left the ranch. Our local troops are traveling home. All non-essential personnel will leave the property tonight except Joe Defranco, Ranger, Terry Martin, Program Director and Ted Black our Communication Specialist.
We made a decision earlier today to close BDSR for this week's session after consulting with fire personnel and Council President, Allen Ginsborg. We will determine when to begin operations on a weekly basis, determined by the progress the firefighters make on putting out this fire. Every Troop who was scheduled for Sunday have been accommodated at Camp Laramie Peak or one of the other Colorado Council camps.
June 14, 2012 6:30 PM
Due to the High Park Fire, Longs Peak Council Officials along with the Sheriff's Department and fire fighting officials have made the decision to cancel all programs at Ben Delatour Scout Ranch for the week of June 17-23. All troops schedule for June 17-23 have been notified and are in the process of moving to other camps for their summer camp session.
We will make the decision on the week of June 24-30 by Wednesday, June 20.
We are taking every precaution to ensure the safety of all of our Scouts, leaders and staff.
June 13, 2012 3:40PM
We are fully aware of the situation of the Sheriff's recent pre-evacuation notice.
We remain in contact with the Glacier View Fire Leadership Team and they are aware
of our Scouts in camp. Glacier View Fire's team has assured us that they will give us plenty of notice, when it is time to leave camp.
We will continue to keep you informed on the situation.
June 13, 2012 9:20am
Yesterday, Sheriff Justin Smith mentioned a "scout camp" when discussing the Pingree Park area evacuations. That is not Ben Delatour Scout Ranch, and we are not under any evacuation alerts or orders.
June 12, 2012 12:00 Noon
Currently the Boy Scout program at Ben Delatour Scout Ranch is running as scheduled. We are in direct contact with fire officials and the Sheriff's Department and will take appropriate action when deemed necessary by their direction. We will not allow any person to be put in danger.
We have cancelled Webelos Session 1 (June 14-17) at Jack Nicol Cub Scout Camp due to the road closures, caused by the proximity of the fire, giving us limited access to the camp. If you are registered for Session 1 and would like to move your registration to another session, or would like a full refund please email CampRegistration@longspeakbsa.org with your name, Pack #, how you paid, what session you would like to move to or if you would like a refund.
PLEASE DO NOT CALL CAMP!. We need to keep the phone line open for emergency communications. Please monitor this website or friend us on Facebook . We will update our information at those two location as we have new information to post.
It will not benefit you to call any of the Council Service Centers as they will have no more information that what is published here and on our Facebook page.
Here is the link to the incident website that you can monitor as well:
InciWeb the Incident Information System: High Park Fire
June 11, 2012 11:00AM
Due to the High Park fire, Highway 287 north of Fort Collins has been closed at times.
Please check on closures and plan your travel to Ben Delatour Scout Ranch to allow extra time if you need to take an alternate route.
Map of alternate route using Owl Canyon Road